Announcing Ninjatude

This morning I would like to announce publicly that we’re currently developing a new cross-platform, cross-device game code named: Ninjatude. Ninjatude is being built on top of the latest Adobe Flash / Adobe AIR platform.

In a place known as The Forest (at least by the locals), there exists a clan of Ninja Squirrels who fight to keep the peace. Filled with the power of their greatest treasure, the mystic Golden Acorn, they root out evil and defend the creatures of the trees. Of course, since no good deeds go unpunished, the Ninja find their great treasure stolen away in the night. Deprived of their strength and ability, the Squirrels have sent out their best lone warrior to retrieve the Acorn.

We’re working with a stellar team of Game Designers, Artists and Developers coming to us from Digipen.

We need your help

I’d like to introduce you to our main character… who has yet to be named. So we need your help. Put your suggestions for names in the comments below. Here is some more concept art to get you thinking.

More information will be coming soon. So be sure to keep checking back here.

Cheers!

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Announcing Ninjatude”

1. Adrock May 12, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

I recommend adding a mysterious scar to the main characters face (a la Samurai X).

As for a name:

Hanzo (nod to Kill Bill, also w/ nickname ‘Han’)

2. Alyssa Magnotti May 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm #

Chompers
    Chip
    Nugget
    Zuzu
    Walter

Haha! That was fun!

3. Hero May 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

cool! i vote for Heroshi… πŸ˜‰

4. Phil Peron May 12, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

Akoan (A Kōan) πŸ˜‰

5. polyGeek May 12, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

Tacuridai ( Ta – CUR – idae )

Squirrels belong to a large family of small or medium-sized rodents called the Sciuridae.

Japanese sufixes
    -dai, “big”
    -ta, “great,” or sometimes “well built” (probably refers to solidity and permanence rather than a six-pack)

6. Garth Braithwaite May 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

Name him Samosa. Hmmm those are delicious.

7. Rance Patterson May 12, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

Being a ninja I presumed he was an Oriental Giant Squirrel, and in a nod to his subfamily (Ratufinae) or Species (Ratufa) I think a name like Tufinae or Tufa would be cool. Ratufa may work but having rat in the name may confuse people.

Or borrowing from Dan you could go with Tufta.

• ZaaFox May 12, 2011 at 11:07 pm #

It’s actually more based off of the Japanese Squirrel, or Sciurus lis. I’ve been scouring the family, subfamily, species names for inspiration.

• Rance Patterson May 13, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

Excellent. More ideas…

Risu or Rindou – japanese for squirrel
        Mori – japanese for woods
        Nobu – from the japanese mythical flying squirrel Nobusuma. You could add a japanese honorific like san Nobusan or combine the honorific sama with the full name to get Nobusama.

8. RJ May 12, 2011 at 6:27 pm #

I’d steer away from anything too Japanese. It looks like a cutesy game for kids – anything too difficult to pronounce frustrates kids. Think about the player, not about the squirrel. It’s human-centered design applied to video games!

I’d try to contrast the character’s violent nature with its cute animal self and give it a name like Fluffy or Whiskers or Cottonbuns or something. This could be especially hilarious if it kind of hates its name, or if the other characters in the game all have better names and it kinda got the shaft on the naming thing. Ricecheeks (“cheeks” for short).. Pufftail. Cuddlekins. Whatever.

It’s also worth talking about gender – why does everyone assume the ninja squirrel is a guy? It could be quite cool to make it female. A kick-ass tough-as-nails female warrior squirrel ninja named something stupid could be hilarious and really give the player something to connect to. I guess, a tough-ninja-guy with a bad name would make him angry enough to have an atitude and could fit well with the Ninjatude title.

Either way I’d shoot for a name that’s memorable and gives the squirrel personality. If you have to go with a Japanese name pick a short one that’s easy for english speakers to say – Tufta or Rini or something is fine, but it’s still more generic and harder to attach to than something more out there.

9. KillerSpaz May 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

Nutzo
    Scrum
    FuzzyBlade
    Daniel-son
    Aykorn
    Scrollz

That’s about all I got… Nice drawings so far!

10. Doug May 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm #

I vote for Bevo-san — Bevo is my nickname for squirrels. So I’m partial with that.

11. Benjamin May 12, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

Bucky (for buck teeth)
    Fuzzle (for the fuzzy tail)
    One-who-collects-nuts (I’m sure there’s a greek translation for that)

12. Mathias May 12, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

Pooky (ask Erin)

15. Colfax May 13, 2011 at 3:52 am #

Zissou

16. Jennifer Anderson May 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

Hurkie or Herkie… Like a little Hercules, but mini sized

17. Kevin May 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

I hope I am not too late to get my suggestion in.

I say Tofer or Topher
    ( pronounced Toe – ferr )

Cool looking character πŸ˜€